Tuesday 4 May 2010

CRITICAL COMMENTARY ON LEARNING IN THIS MODULE

The aim of this module (WSB 3835 Project Planning and Development) was to learn, and gain a sufficient understanding of the various research techniques, methodologies and terminology that will be essential in the next module- the project. Having little to no initial knowledge of the research techniques, I have had to work very hard to gain a suitable understanding but can now see the progress that I have made. I am now competent in the knowledge of a substantial amount of research terminology which has in turn helped me when reading about techniques and methodologies.

Admittedly I have had a somewhat love-hate with this module. Having a full-time job as well as embarking upon the development of my own business in the form of a dance school, I have found difficulties in regards to time management, which has in turn, proved a huge disadvantage to me, despite my interest and passion in the chosen topic.

Work commitments have also prevented me from attending campus sessions and I have therefore almost entirely had to rely on written feedback from the campus sessions from fellow students and academic advisors. As I learn best when discussing ideas and interacting with others, this has been a particular problem to me and I have found it hard to get my head around the tasks required of me for this module.

In hindsight, I spent far too much time getting bogged down trying to decide on a title for my project, rather than becomming familiar with research methodologies and found myself getting very panicky at the last minute having finally decided on a title because I did not fully understand what was expected of me in the research proposal.

I have, however, on a positive note, found the guidance notes provided by the university extremely useful in that they break down the module in to smaller and less daunting sections to work through. Admittedly, at first I found the wording of Judith Bell's book difficult to understand, but after re-reading several times, her writings became very beneficial to me in guiding me through the project planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment