Thursday 5 November 2009

WORK AND PEOPLE THAT I ADMIRE

ALVIN AILEY AMERICAN DANCE THEATER
I first saw the work of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater whist training at Sadlers Wells Theatre, where i saw there performance of "Revelations". Alvin Ailey is not just a company but also has its own school in New York, "The Ailey School" which currently provides 86% of graduates to the Ailey company.

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater was founded in 1958 when Ailey himself accompanied by a group of black dancers performed for the first time at New York's 92nd Street YM-YWHA.

"When Mr. Ailey began creating dance, he drew upon his "blood memories" of Texas, the blues, spirituals and gospel as inspiration, which resulted in the creation of his most popular and critically acclaimed work-Revelations."
Being an admirere of gospel music and the blues myself, I found "Revelations" inspiring and was prompted to choreograph my own piece for my A Level Dance project in a similar inspired style.
Below is a video clip of Ailey's "Revelations":


No comments:

Post a Comment